View From The Glen

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Priorities

So there I was going about my day when a friend on Twitter mentions NaBlo and I think, I can do that!

And then I start reading other blogs and getting insights into all sorts of great topics. And I think, I can do that!

People are participating in Novel Writing Month too, or Harlequins' SYTYCW conference, and I start to think, I can do that!

I read editing blogs that are insightful and I think, I can do that!

Or I read cooking blogs that are mouthwatering and I think, I can do that!

Never mind that I am editing and teaching. And oh yeah - still working full time in the corporate world. Never mind the kids' homework-karate-cubs-swimming. The things that have to get done every week.

I want to do it all and I want to do it all now.

But I know better.

When it seems never ending, (and it's the internet - it is never ending and there will always be something cool and exciting that you could be participating in) there is really only one thing to do:

STOP!

Because the other opportunities will be there later. Because it's important not to spread yourself too thinly. Because the kids still want to be fed and the dog still wants to go for a walk. Because at the end of the day there is only so much any one person can do at any given time.

So pick your priority. This month. This week. This day. And focus on that.

Can't dedicate November to writing your novel? Maybe January works better. Or maybe you need to change the parameters to fit your life: if you write 250 words a day five days a week for a year, you'll have a 60,000 word novel.

Can't spare the time to market your business right now? Build it up and set time aside later to do it when you do have the time and resources.

Truly, you can do anything you want. Just not everything.

Not all at once, anyway.

(In November I pick blogging: If you stop by - especially if you're a NaBloPoMo participant - leave a link so I can visit your site.)

5 comments:

Paul C said...

So true about not trying to do everything. Pick your priorities. Best wishes with your November challenge.

L. K. Below/Lindsay Below said...

Good point, Denise. Unfortunately, that's a point that I'll never be able to wrap my head around. I always try to do too many things at once. Fortunately, this month, I told myself NANO! and that's what I'm doing :)

Leanne Haines said...

Here, here!!! Amen!!! You're absolutely right! Yesterday I had five things on my list of priorities (mental list, of course -- I haven't started actually writing down lists yet), and I achieved two of them. And I'm a SAHM! Got too caught up in reading blogs, I guess. All you can do is all you can do. There are only 24 hours in a day, and worrying about what didn't get done is far too stressful. Do what must be done, and the rest of the time is for doing what you love and being with who you love. Bonus if you love what must be done! I reiterate that I am in awe of you and all you do every day! Remember when would sit for ours in the cafeteria munching on chocolate chip muffins? We didn't know how good we had it! Good job on Day 3!

Finola said...

I was told recently that I'm a perfectionist - not because I need things perfect around the house or in the kitchen, but because I need to get everything done on time. I need to learn to let some things go, but it's not easy. Good for you to focus.

Mindful Merchant said...

Wise words. I will STOP and read this month. :)