View From The Glen

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

It's coming...

For the record, I love Christmas. True, I don't get giddy about decorating right after Hallowe'en, and in fact get downright stubborn about not shopping in stores that insist on trying to woo me with Christmas baubles too early. And we don't go and get a tree until December is well underway, preferring to draw out the anticipation.

But when I heard Elvis' White Christmas while shopping in The Bay last weekend, it bought a smile to my face, and I have started thinking about gifts.

That was about as far as I got until today when two things happened to remind me that the season is almost upon us.

First a friend who has three daughters sent an email to see if we would be up for a Christmas craft afternoon with the kids. Sounds great, I thought, and checking my calendar, was a bit shocked (as always it creeps up)  that there are only five weekend left before December 25th.

Wow.

Secondly, Andrea from A Peek Inside The Fishbowl twittered about her 25 days of Christmas tradition, which involves taking the commercializaion and rush and crazyness out of the season (well, as much as possible, anyway) with some fun, gentle, family time activities. I don't do it exactly as she does, but one of the first things I do every early December is make a list of things we can do together that maybe, just maybe, take the rush and hustle out of the weeks leading up to the big day.

No comments: