View From The Glen

Thursday, September 10, 2009

The Voice (Summer Night)

Driving home last weekend along scenic route #2 from Cornwall, the sun was setting over the Saint Lawrence River and the reflection in the water was beautiful. I, of course, didn't have my camera and probably couldn't have done it justice if I had. But it reminded me of a 100 year old painting I like by Norwegian artist, Edvard Munch, a painting I thought captures the essence of a rippling reflection (vertical yellow line in the centre of the painting) breaking up on the water.


It's funny how the mind works because when I took a closer look at this painting, it doesn't actually look anything like my sunset, and I can't see what it is that linked them in my mind at that moment. It's not even a sunset - it's moonlight. And in the painting it's really only a backdrop to another story, whereas my sunset was the story.

Still, it gave me another chance to look at the painting and made me realize that paintings are like books - you find something new and relevant every time you look at them.

No comments: