View From The Glen

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Fleeting Summer

I'm not one of those moms who cries when the kids start school. Around here it's whoops of delight and joy that they're off and running and that another year has begun. In part it's because I know they like getting back into the routines and socializing that school and Cubs and Karate and Dance bring; in part it's because I remember loving this time of year, and even now the start of September for me is magical, as if the very air breathes promises for all of us.

If there is any sadness, it's because no matter how warm the weather, how nice the days, and regardless of what the calendar says, once school starts back up we are forced to acknowledge that summer, so fleeting at the best of times, is over.

3 comments:

cbmamainnf said...

I so agree!! Though Ryan is not so enthusiastic cause he plays with his friends most days we are home...Erin can not wait to get back to school to see her friends!!

Leanne Haines said...

So true! I love the smell of new books and pencils, and the freshness of a new school year! Despite their objections, I know my kids feel the same way!But to realize another summer has come and gone so quickly is sad...

Aly Beth said...

Then end of summer sentiment, I completely agree with. The end of mugginess? I couldn't be more excited!! :)