View From The Glen

Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Mamma Mia

I am unabashedly unapologetic for admitting that I saw and thoroughly enjoyed the movie version of Mamma Mia recently.

It made me laugh. It made me feel joyous and happy. It made me feel good. It made me want to move to a Greek Island and sing Abba songs on the beach.

I thought the critics missed the point when it came to the singing. I'm sure the director could have picked perfectly pitched actors for all the roles, but the beauty of the movie was that it didn't have to be perfect to be good. Life isn't like that. Life isn't always sung in tune.

And Mamma Mia was about life. About Kairos (to use one of my favourite ancient Greek concepts, referring to the qualitative nature of time as opposed to Chronos, the quantitative nature of time).

I loved it. And I'm still singing Abba songs a month later.

Full Disclosure: it could be said that I have a slight bias towards any movie with either Pierce Brosnan or Colin Firth in it, and this one had both, and if they could only have featured Harrison Ford as well, my day would truly have been complete.

2 comments:

Leanne Haines said...

One of my favourite movies! I sang out loud in the theatre all through it, and laughed even louder. Loved every minute! We'll have to see it together sometime!

Denise Nielsen said...

I'd love to see it with you - no one better! My girls loved it - make that LOVED it - too. I told Andrew I want to dress up as Abba for Hallowe'en - but surprisingly (!) he said a firm no - guess the idea of wearing blue spangled spandex and glittering high heeled boots didn't appeal:)