View From The Glen

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Bittersweet

I like to enjoy a glass of red wine on the veranda as the sun sets. The Linden Tree is in full bloom, the scent of lime drifting by on the breeze, and red-winged blackbirds chase each other in and out of the small copse of trees beyond the wild roses. The sights, sounds and smells of early summer make it a nice way to wind down on a Friday night.

I took these pictures on the weekend. My Linden tree with its sweet-smelling blossoms, hanging over me like a bower.



It's a bittersweet remembrance now. My van spontaneously caught fire yesterday. Luckily the fire was caught before it spread to my new veranda, but not before the heat of it had destroyed the vehicle and scorched the surrounding trees - my growing Ash sapling, a mature Pine, and my beautiful Linden tree.

We knew some branches would have to go, but today I noticed the curled leaves on the veranda side of the tree. Brown and fragile, the leaves and blossoms are just a shell of what they were, and I cry not for the van - which can be replaced - but for my trees.

There is hope. We may still be able to save the tree as it is not damaged all the way up.

But I write this with sadness in my heart.

6 comments:

Leanne Haines said...

That is so sad! I hope you can save that precious tree! It really is a lesson in what we value. The van, although inconvenient and expensive, is not the truly valuable part of the equation. The years invested in that beautiful tree are what cannot be replaced. Good luck!

Julie said...

The nice thing about most trees is they are rather resiliant - somehow made to last better than man-made autos, go-figure.
I had to chop away a good portion of my lilac last summer due to a bug infestation, but you would never know it this year. Now, why can't I move it with me to the new house?

Denise Nielsen said...

Thanks Julie & Leanne for your words of encouragment and hope. I am optimistic the tree will survive, but it makes it no less sad to see it in its forlorn wilted state.

4meaneys said...

Denise- I hope your trees survive. We had a problem with bugs on or Mountain Ash last year- and Steve was over zealous with the treatment. We thought the tree was dead- and we would have to cut it- but in August it started growing new leaves, flowers and in late Dec the berries came out. I hope your trees have just decided that hibernation is their best option for survival. OUr tree is beautiful again this year....

The Mindful Merchant said...

Thank goodness the fire did not spread to the house. I am sorry to hear about your trees...I hope they will survive. Perhaps the rain the rain this weekend will help them grow. :)

Rebecca said...

That is scary! glad everyone (and most things) were alright.