View From The Glen

Saturday, August 29, 2009

Happy Birthday, 8 year old


Schoolbag in hand, she leaves home in the early morning
Waving goodbye with an absent-minded smile
I watch her go with a surge of that well-known sadness
And I have to sit down for a while


Slipping through my fingers all the time
I try to capture every minute, the feeling in it
Slipping through my fingers all the time,

Do I really see what's in her mind?
Each time I think I'm close to knowing, she keeps on growing
Slipping through my fingers all the time
Sleep in our eyes, her and me at the breakfast table
Barely awake, I let precious time go by
Then when she's gone, there's that odd melancholy feeling
And a sense of guilt I can't deny


What happened to the wonderful adventures?
The places I had planned for us to go?
Well some of that we did but most we didn't, and why I just don't know


Sometimes I wish that I could freeze the picture
And save it from the funny tricks of time


Slipping through my fingers....
Happy 8th Birthday, Anna!


(Words from © Mamma Mia soundtrack, Abba)

No comments: