View From The Glen

Saturday, April 4, 2009

10 Books of Note

Of the books I've read so far this year, here are my top 10:

1. Drums of Autumn and The Fiery Cross both by Diana Gabaldon – Jamie, Claire – no need to say any more…

2. The Other Queen by Phillipa Gregory – This was much better than The Constant Princess, which disappointed me earlier in January, and I’d rank it up there with The Other Boleyn Girl.

3. How To Be A Domestic Goddess by Nigella Lawson – A friend send me this for Christmas. So much more than just a cookbook! I read it for the always luscious, often witty descriptions of the food, which is why I feel I can count it among my books for 2009. And yes I have used it to bake – I made my father in law the most ooey gooey chocolatey brownies you have ever dreamed of.

4. The Cellist of Sarajevo by Steven Galloway –A powerful and moving story of the struggle for humanity in a time of chaos. Highly recommended

5. Jamaica Inn by Daphne du Maurier – posted here

6. The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson – mesmerizing

7. Roughing it in the Bush by Susanna Moodie - theme of our bookclub was inspirational women, and I’m always amazed by the resilience and fortitude of pioneer women

8. The Splendour Falls by Susanna Kearsley – Battling with a cold, I couldn’t handle anything too heavy and settled in with this page turner – modern day mystery meets historic legend. Much fun.

9. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society by Mary Ann Shaffer - Can’t say enough good things! Set shortly after World War II, and told through letters, this book was heartwarming, poignant, enchanting, gut-wrenching, and above all hopeful, and I loved it.

10. Vernon God Little by DBC Pierrre - Disturbing, visual and jerky 1st person narrative that veered from the profane to lyrical and back again. A satirical bent, and a definite voice emerge, however there is a great deal of graphic language.

1 comment:

Tess said...

I also loved The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society! I was hesitant at first, because of the cutesy title, but I thought it was very well done.

(I just found your blog, by way of a common interest, Stan Rogers.)