View From The Glen

Sunday, December 9, 2012

Snow White



I took the girls to Ottawa to see the ballet on Saturday. Snow White. They've been to the ballet before, but this time, they actually seemed old enough to really enjoy it.

I've never thought of myself as a fan of ballet, though love the symphony and the opera, so I went with a little trepidation as I have a tendency to grow bored.

But this time I loved it. Maybe because the girls are older and I din't have to spend the whole two hours whispering answers in their ears.

It's just started. The prince doesn't show up until later.

Yes, that is Snow White. No, her dress is not the same as in the Disney movie.

There is no talking. It's a ballet. They just dance.

I already told you - the prince doesn't show up until the end.

(Seriously, what is is about girls and princes?)

This time, I got to listen to the other mothers and grandmothers whisper these things while my girls sat in rapturous attention at the music, the sumptuous costumes, the stunning visual stage, and the talented dancers.

Before I get too smug though, all the other little girls were dressed in tulle and lace and silk and looked beautiful, and my girls are complete tomboys who think dressing up is clean pants and a hair clip.

Still beautiful though.

3 comments:

Ruth A Casie said...

I took my girls when they were really young to a young children's Nutcracker performance. I was so excited. They quickly fell asleep on either side of me. Luckily they didn't snore.

Leanne Haines said...

Sounds lovely! I know Janelle would have loved it -- although she probably would have been one of the ones whispering. She just can't help herself!

Leanne Haines said...

Sounds lovely! I know Janelle would have loved it -- although she probably would have been one of the ones whispering. She just can't help herself!