View From The Glen

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Newton's Laws - or how I got stumped by a third grader

Grace was pushing Erik's buttons. To be fair she does it very well, as well as only an 8 year old can when dealing with an older brother. This particular instance - and there are many - took place in the car. Grace was asking Erik what French words meant, and he was getting irritated. Very irritated.

I finally turned around. Enough is enough.

You're in French Immersion, Grace, and Erik's strength is not languages. It's like me asking you - I racked my brain quickly for something that would stump her - what Newton's Laws are.

That's what I said. What she said (without missing a beat) was this.

An object in motion tends to stay in motion.

Uuuuummmmmmm.......

This is the really sad part: I had just tossed Newton's Law at her. I didn't actually know in that instant if what she said was one of them or not. It sounded right...why didn't I pay more attention in grade 10 physics?

And how the heck did she know anyway? (Grandpa, apparently. At the science museum in Vancouver.)

Erik saved my bacon.

And got his own back. That's just the third law, he told her.  What's the first?

Just don't ask Mom. Contrary to popular belief, she doesn't know everything.




3 comments:

4meaneys said...

That is SO my house! To make matters worse Steve is just like Ryan ( or vice versa ) so I have no repreive. We are going to have to get them all together someday.....so we can just sit there, drink wine and feel STUPID

Leanne Haines said...

I LOVE it! That is so hilarious! What I would have given to see your face at that moment! By the way, you know your kids are crazy brilliant, right? I'm ready to go ask mine what Newton's Laws are. I'm pretty sure they won't know any more than I do. But then again, I may be surprised...

Finola said...

This is so cute and funny! It doesn't take long before they are smarter than us, does it?!