View From The Glen

Saturday, November 28, 2009

All For One and One For All

Let's just say that we like Musketeers around our house. It started years ago when Erik was 4 and we rented the Mickey Mouse version (which was better than I expected and makes great use of well known pieces of classical music). The Musketeer's Battle Cry All For One and One For All became our mantra, and to this day we say it as the school bus rolls into view, the kids and I holding out our imaginary swords and no doubt giving the neighbours a giggle into the bargain.

It's one of our favourite movies and favourite books, and tonight the kids are graduating to The Man In The Iron Mask which features the musketeers, older and wiser but still ready for action.


It got me thinking about the Musketeers, and how distinct each of them are. Erik's favourite is Athos, of course. The leader. The intelligent one. The aristocrat. The one who looks most like young Obi Wan Kenobi. Anna likes Aramis - poet, dreamer, idealist. Grace likes Porthos because he's always laughing (her words). And of course all three like D'Artagnan: Erik because he's heroic, the girls because (in the 1993 movie at least) he's young and cute.

It made me wonder if perhaps knowing which of the Musketeers you like best gives some insight into your personality, kind of like one of those Facebook quizes that claims to  understand you based on what colour you like, or what car you drive (Red, and a mini van, if you want to know).


Which of the Musketeers do I like best? Is it fun-loving, life-embracing Porthos?Perhaps the intelligent but brooding and melancholic Athos? Maybe Aramis with his poetic character, inner strength and private nature? Or is it brave and impetuous young D'Artagnan?


I'll leave you guessing while I try to figure it out. Meanwhile, which musketeer do you prefer? And Why?

1 comment:

Leanne Haines said...

I'm going to have to watch "The Man in the Iron Mask" and let you know. It's been a while. But I'm pretty sure I'm a D'Atagnan girl.

By the way, what does it mean that I drive a red minivan, too? I always knew we were kindred spirits!