View From The Glen

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Summer at the Cottage


Does anything say summer more than the smiles of children hanging out at the cottage? Swimming in the lake, shucking corn with Grandma, staying up late giggling with cousins, listening to the loons, and just hanging out on the deck in the adirondack chairs.
Even though we live in the country, there is something so freeing about heading down for a weekend on the lake with the family. Leaving behind the routines of everyday life for a couple of days is good for the soul. At the cottage there is nothing more important to do than spend an hour tossing sticks into the water for the dogs, or watch the kids show off their swimming skills. Watch me do a starfish, Mommy! I can swim out to that rock, Mom! Look at me dunk my head, Mom, look!
I feel I have all the time in the world at the cottage. It's a fallacy, but a nice one. Time certainly does seem to slow down at the lake. The days are long, sun-drenched, and tiring. And at the end of the day, when the kids are all dried off and tucked into bed, there is still a sunset to watch, a bottle of wine to share, a conversation to have.

No comments: