View From The Glen

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Summer Starts (or Working Mom Woes)

Today is the last day of school for ds (8) and dd's (6, 5), and the time of year when I regret my decision not to go into education....the thought of 8 weeks off is really appealing when the weather warms up and the long days stretch out playfully, calling my name.

I love my job, but heck, who am I kidding - of course I miss those 6 years when I got to be home with the kids all summer. Now it feels like I have to pack the activities into weekends, and that isn't always easy to do while trying to maintain summer's laid back pace. Already I'm regretting the Saturday swimming lessons and noticing that we're missing lots of them because of important events such as the Medieval Festival - held two weeks ago in Upper Canada Village; a trip to Grandma's (this weekend), and my sister's wedding shower (next weekend). As dh always says, "There's time for anything, just not everything." He's right.

On the up side, long summer evenings allow for leisurly dinners under the ash tree (at least on the nights when there is no soccer), and after the garden is weeded and the kitchen cleared, there is still time for a glass of red wine on the veranda while watching the sun set.

No comments: